It is now essential that Sellers are fully aware of the importance of the Home Report, which has to be completed by an independent surveyor before the house can be legally advertised. The surveyor’s Home Report contains a full survey and valuation, and has to be given to all potential buyers. Our company has contacts with all the surveyors in this area who can carry out Home Reports. We can also put you in touch with local trades people, insurers, mortgage advisers and the local council.
It is wise to consult a Scottish solicitor at the earliest opportunity so that your title deeds can be checked. Obtaining advice from the outset will avoid many frustrating delays further down the line.
We do not charge for things like brochures, floor plans, sale boards, going onto the Internet (including the Rightmove website), going into our Property List, or into our prominent High Street window display. We do not charge to do the viewings if within the Fort William area. Our commission is all you pay, and it is only payable when the house sells.
As we are both a firm of estate agents and solicitors, we can also act as your solicitors and be a convenient ‘one-stop shop’ for the whole process and take the stress out of your move. Let us know, and one of our solicitors will provide an estimate of the legal costs.
To discuss any aspect of putting your house on the market please contact our Estate Agent, Jennifer Forsyth, or by phoning us on 01397 702455.
Preparing your home for a viewer
We have compiled a list of tips to help you prepare your home for viewers.
- Clean your home throughout – paying particular attention to the bathroom and kitchen. Tidy up clutter and if possible pack away anything you will not need in the short term.
- Make sure that the rooms are not over furnished to create the impression of spaciousness.
- Ensure that your home is at a comfortable temperature. Use table lamps and wall lights to create mood and avoid switching on ceiling lights.
- Make sure rooms are sweet smelling – open windows and use fresh flowers if possible! But avoid overuse of air fresheners.
- If you have pets take them out of the way before each viewing where possible. We recognise that you love them but your viewers may not!
- Think about the outside of your home. A neat front garden creates a good first impression and first impression make all the difference! In summer, make use of colourful flowers and baskets.
- If your windows require painting or your gutters need clearing, think about doing this in advance of putting your property on the market.
- Make sure that your home name or number is clearly displayed. At night, make sure that your house is well lit. There is nothing more frustrating than a buyer not being able to locate your house!
- If a room is looking tired, a simple coat of paint in a neutral shade will help enormously.
- If you have a dated kitchen or bathroom, make sure it is clean, tidy and clutter free. This is all that is necessary as to replace it just for sale may mean you do not recoup all that you have spent.
- Bad DIY and unauthorised extensions can reduce the value of your home, not increase it.